29 November 2013

À Paris - Back to the Seine

Moving from the rive droite to the rive gauche, from one side of the Seine to the other side, changed my daily route. 
In the beginning, every day I took the metro line 1 to Louvre-Rivoli, walked past one side of the Louvre, along the Seine until I can cross the river by Pont des Arts, took a glance at the typical antique bookstores at the left bank, and arrived school. 
Now, I leave home and walk past a supermarket until I get to the station Bibliotheque Francois M., take the RER C to Saint-Michel Notre Dame, change to metro line 4, arrive at Saint Germain des Pres, take a walk on the narrow street, and arrive school.
That's how, for a long time, I haven't seen and been near the Seine.
And it's funny how one fails to notice the one part of her original every-day Parisian life is missing.

Wednesday after class, it was only 4h30 and the rare blue sky told me it was not a good idea to go home right away. I felt the urge of taking a walk around the place, just as before.
I also realized, in a sudden, that the Seine has been missing in my life. The area in Paris which I adore the most.

Not fearing the cold, I went out of the school and turned left for the first time in a long time. 
Once again I stepped onto the pavement of the river bank. The picture looked different now. The bright contrasting colour of the trees and sky had faded, leaving a slightly grey scale behind. However still, this was the place which I loved so much. 
I walked past the green tin boxes and up the wood panels of the bridge. I was walking in the pair of antique high heels which I love.
The view from the bridge: towards the two bank sides, towards the Pont Neuf, towards the islands, towards the open sky. Once again fascinating me.
Continuing walking as how I would do before, I arrived at the Rue de Rivoli. I decided not to enter the metro, but continued to revisit and explore.
new exploration-palais royal



There are enchanted spaces in the city where you would love to walk in again and again.
There are fragments of the city that you would never want to forget.
To me, this is where the magic of Paris is.



No comments:

Post a Comment